Some like it rare, some like it medium rare, so how do you grill steak perfectly for everyone? We have the tips you need to grill a great steak!
- Marinate – If you’re seasoning your steak with a marinade, it’s ideal to let the steak rest in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. Depending on the ingredients of the marinade and your personal tastes, you can let the steaks marinate for much longer, even upwards of 6-8 hours. Even if you’re only seasoning your steak with salt and pepper, once you coat the steaks in the seasoning, let them sit for at least 10-30 minutes.
- Determine Grill Temp – Set the temperature of the grill to fit the thickness of the steak. Generally, thinner cuts need hotter heat and thicker cuts need lower heat.
- Determine Grill Times – The length of time the steak will cook depends on the type of steak, the thickness of the cut, and personal preference, of course. For example, for a 1-inch thick steak to be cooked rare, grill it for 6 minutes, turn it over, and grill it for 3 more minutes. At the other end of the grill time spectrum, for that 1-inch thick steak to be cooked well-done, grill it for 9 minutes, then turn it, and grill it for 8 minutes more.
- Check Internal Temperature – Push a meat thermometer through the side of the steak to test the temperature at its center. If you want the steak rare, take the steak off the heat when you get a reading of about 130 degrees. For medium rare steak, the final cooked temperature should be between 145-155 degrees. For medium, the reading should be at least 160 degrees, and for a well-done steak, the reading should be about 170 degrees.
- Let it Rest – Once you pull the steaks off the grill, let them sit for a few minutes in order to retain their juices and reach their final cooked temperature.
- Clean the Grill – While the grates are still hot, run your grill brush across them to remove the bigger pieces of leftover meat, vegetables, sticky marinade, and other buildup. Once the grill cools, plan to clean the grill more thoroughly so that it’s in good shape for your next cookout. At least yearly, call on a great professional grill cleaning company to deep clean your grill and outdoor kitchen to keep everything in great shape!
There are many good Jacksonville FL grill cleaning companies, but GrillSOS is the best grill cleaner Jacksonville homeowners call on for deep cleaning for their barbecue grills and outdoor kitchens. Our expert grill cleaners submerge and wash your grill grates, and degrease and scrub the inside and outside of your grill, as well as the hood, side burners, and anything else that you want to have clean and shining once again. Our customers in Fernandina Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach, Riverside, St. Augustine, and throughout Jacksonville love our service and call on us again and again!